- The most important thing is that you should not wax your floor. Today’s finishes do not require waxing; doing so will ruin the floor. Floors that have been waxed cannot be buffed and recoated.
- Day to day grit can scratch the floor finish. Spills and water will ruin the flooring.
- Vacuum and sweep the floor as needed.
- Select hardwood floor cleaners that are made without ammonia and are specifically designed to clean hardwood floors (Spray the cleaner lightly on a small area of the floor and wipe the floor with a mop.)
- Never wet the mop or flood your floor with water.
- Place floor mats at entrances to trap dirt and prevent damage.
- Lift the furniture to move it - avoid dragging. Felt contacts under the legs will help prevent scratches.
- In winter, when homes are heated and the air is dry, wood flooring gives up some of its moisture and therefore shrinks. When that happens, thin cracks appear between. It is acceptable, once the indoor heat goes off in the spring, and the indoor environment regains moisture, most of these cracks will close up.